Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Quickest Pneumonia Ever!

Well, that was quick!

I met Helen at the hospital this morning. Dad was sitting on the side of the bed waiting for his breakfast. He was in good spirits and seemed to be feeling fine.

Breakfast arrived, just as Dad had ordered. He was happy to have his smuggled salt. By the time he finished preparing everything just so, seasoning all his foods, buttering his biscuit, adding the jelly, no doubt it was getting cold, but he enjoyed. it.

And then it was time for Helen to go. She made of list of the things Dad needed to ask the Doctor when he arrived:

1. What is the prognosis?

2. Any more meds of antibiotics?

3. More x-rays?

4. Timeline?

The list seemed to cover all bases. Helen would be available after 3 in the afternoon. I was able to stay until 10, and Michael Malouf was planning to come by later in the morning.

Shortly after Helen left, the doctor came by. After exchanging pleasantries and a blow-by-blow recap of Dad's condition, he gave a quick listen to Dad's chest.

"There's only two things I need to do," he said. "The first is to write a prescription for levaquin. The other is to write discharge papers."

And that's what he did.

The prescription was for four pills to take daily starting in the afternoon. The hospital was to fill the prescription so he wouldn't have to have it filled after discharge. Since he had one more IV antibiotic infusion scheduled for later in the morning, the nurse was to prepare for a discharge around 3 or 4 when Helen would be available to pick him up.

Dad was to follow up with a visit to David Wiggins and an x-ray in a couple of weeks. If he develops severe shortness of breath, severe coughing or bloody phlegm, Dad is NOT to call his doctor, but head back to the ER.

By then it was time for me to go to work. As far as I know the rest of the day went according to the plan. Malouf did come by for a visit. Helen took him home and Will took him dinner.

And so life goes back to normal. We hope.


  1. Well, we still need to keep an eye on him for the next few days. I think this bout has taken more out of him than he'll admit to. Don't mean to alarm, but nows not the time to let our guard down. I'll check on him in the morning and Helen will take him to have his PT/INR checked. We'll figure out dinner for him as Helen and I will be celebrating our Anniversary at the State Fair tomorrow night.

  2. Absolutely. I could hear his weakness when I talked to him this afternoon. Thanks.

  3. Absolutely. I could hear his weakness when I talked to him this afternoon. Thanks.

  4. Thanks all. His voice was very weak, like it was after his heart surgery. He was talking about going back for more voice therapy like he did then. Anyone know if he followed through with that?

  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    1. it was a duplicate entry, just trying to clean things up.... no edit! no deletion!