Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Waiting

A joyous weekend in the face of profound grief: I'm proud and grateful I'm part of a family that can muster that kind of karmically perfect response. I believe Mother could feel the love as much as Daddy did.

She had a new nurse last night. Mother seemed a little huffy about that at first, but she got over it.

The hospice has okayed continuous care for the foreseeable future–great news. Although Mother sleeps most of the time, and hasn't had anything to eat or drink since Saturday, she is not comatose and all her systems have not shut down. Her blood pressure is low but stable, her respiration is within normal range. She purses her lips to give me a kiss and opened both eyes wide when Louise and Bob King came by today. They brought some split pea soup; like everyone, they are concerned about Daddy as well as Mother.

I postponed my flight back to SLC indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment