Monday, March 2, 2015

Recap of a Busy Day

We can close some issues. Others remain ongoing.

1.  Some blood showed in a stool at one point last week. Coupled with slight anemia, there was some concern about bleeding (ulcers?) Which would require endoscopy. Tests were negative and convert here has been ruled out.

2.  Evidently the TEE performed Friday was not as clean as we had been led to believe. The aortic repair, the replaced valve and the pacemaker leads were all clear with no sign of infection. However, there was a spot on the leaf of the mitral valve that is probably the tear causing the leakage, but the possibility that it was vegetative (infection) could not be ruled out. So the final decision tested with Dr. Hasan, the infectious disease specialist.

Dr. Hasan feels confident the infection is currently at bay and that the spot is a tear. However, if it is infection, it will flair up quickly once he transitions from IV to oral antibiotic. Dad will have to keep close tabs on his temperature to watch out for fever.

3.  Dad's INR blood viscosity has not responded quickly, it is still at 1, it needs to be between 2 and 3. He will need two Lovenox infections a day for the next few days. Home health will visit in the mornings to do vital signs and P.T. and can administer one injection. Dad will have to learn to inject himself.

Which he just did!

AND we are discharged!

More later.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Daddy, my hero. Welcome home.