Thursday, August 11, 2011

Phoners with the parents

I called Dad while Dave and Mom were at SW Med. He still sounds so tired! He says he asked to go home this Friday, but they said they wanted to keep him until Monday. When he pointed out that weekends were pretty much wasted time, the nurse said she would keep him busy with therapy all weekend.
He says the food is awful and the bed is from hell; he hasn't gotten a good night's sleep since he's been there. Wonder how much difference at-home rest and good food will make. He's still surprised at how weak he feels. He says the goal is 150 steps. When he can take 150 steps, he's ready to go home. When he can take 300 steps, he can go shopping. I told him to stop at 299.
He was very relieved that Dave had taken Mother to her appointment today. He told me to call Mother and see how her appointment went.
Mother called when she got home and sounded really tired. I'm sure she's stressed out, plus forgetting to turn on the oxygen.
She sounds very upbeat about the woman who came to help yesterday and said Tami promised she would like the regular woman just as well. I'm so glad that worked out! She also said Adrian had been a big help.
I'm still shopping plane tickets all the time. We're in Maine from 8/19-8/27, so I want to come down soon after that. But I was also thinking I'll get at icket to come down on Mom & Dad's anniversary on 10/8 and there's a ticket available now for $210 which is pretty good. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. He had a busy day today. 150 steps is a key number. That's what it takes to get around an average house. 300 gets you in and out of a store. These numbers are some kind of rehab standard was the impression I got. I think he's done 300.

    He gets tired easily and that takes him down in the dumps. Long hospital stays are extremely disorienting. All you think about is how to get out and how disabled you are.

    When he gets out he'll sleep big time. (Too bad he doesn't have a big soft chair!) It'll be a few weeks before he's ready to party!

    Anniversary sounds great.

    ReplyDelete