Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sunday Dinner

We went by Sunday evening to fix dinner for Mom and Dad.

We found Dad in the living room with the newspaper, no TV and Mom back in her bedroom with her lists. Which is where she spends most of her time these days. She likes to be on top of the covers, in her nightgown and a silk(?) bed jacket that I think she said Marybelle gave her (hey, I could very easily be wrong about that, please don't get upset if it were a gift from you the reader.) But that way Mom doesn't have to think of herself as bedridden. At least that's what she told me last Monday.

(By the way, nearly everything that has anything to do concerning that apartment is parenthetical.)

Susan and I sat down and had a nice visit with Mom. We talked about Susan's visit to the Arboretum with Debbie and her Aunt Teddy, the upcoming school year, goings on with the Rectors. Easy conversation. Dad came in to join us and didn't get jumped on too severely which is what usually happens when he ventures into her lair.

A few minutes later, Helen popped in. Mom had asked her over to discuss staffing. She told Helen she couldn't discuss it with me because she thought that I didn't have a clue as to what was going on. (See earlier post 'The Return of the Mom.') I don't think much business was discussed but conversation was pleasant.

After a while I disengaged and went in to start dinner prep, then Dad came out to join me. Susan stayed in the bedroom and visited with Mom. Before she left, Helen and I brought Dad up to date about plans for the big weekend. Mom knows about Mary and Glen coming, probably expects Travis, but we agreed not to mention Britt or Anna; Michael or Laura. There was some talk of logistics, but it is very doubtful that Mom will want to leave the apartment even to come to one of our houses. Again, we don't know what her condition will be.

The question for the evening was whether she would come out for dinner, but the aroma of sauteed aromatic vegetables and butter poached chicken breasts got the best of her and she joined us at the dining room table. The recipe was from the first remaining (Show #14) episode of the French Chef from The French Chef Cookbook. Supremes de Volaille a l'Ecossaise with Risotto and Buttered Summer Vegetables. As Julia directed I served a "chilled white Burgundy." Someone gave the book to Susan when we got married and it was the first of Julia's recipes that I attempted back in that summer of 1976. Susan and the boys can attest to the fact that I've made it a few times since. This was one of the more successful attempts. The sauce didn't even begin to break.

I insisted that everyone have a glass of wine and that story was the substance of the toast, which also was one of the more successful toasts I've attempted.

It's been a long time since Mom's plate was quite that clean. She said Monday that she and Dad have rarely slept as soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment